Tuesday, November 8, 2016

Interview with Segilola Salami



Tell us a little bit about yourself
  • I'm a mom, an author and a podcaster.  I write bilingual Yoruba English children's book and I recently wrote a paranormal erotic romance as Elizabeth Salawu called Abiku: A Battle Of Gods. My podcast show is called (very imaginatively I must add) The Segilola Salami Show. It's set in a virtual cafe. I collect the orders and my 1 (soon to be 2) year old serves it. I have guests from all works come on the show and talk about books in one form or the other. I think its a show unlike any you have ever listened to. As the year is fast coming to an end, I'm doing a 7 episode theme on child abuse from the 15th of November. I have expert guests coming to talk on what it is, how to identify a child being abused, getting justice and the 5 stages of grief. There'll be lots of book recommendations.
Do you recall the moment you first conceived the idea for your novel?
  • I can but it didn't start out to be a novel. My mom passed away a little over a year before my daughter was born. One day when my daughter was sleeping (she was only a few months old then) I was thinking about my mom and the folktales she used to tell my sister and me. I couldn't remember in detail all the folktales she told me, so I decided to look into it further so that I could tell my own daughter when she was older. Whilst compiling it, I had (what I thought was a brilliant idea) to turn the folktales into 3D animation. Nollywood is the 3rd largest movie industry in the world but they focussed mainly on film and not animation. I thought it was the best time to bring change. Sadly that plan was deflated when I found out the cost of getting animations done. I thought that instead of letting the script gather dust whilst I looked for funding, I should re-write it into a novel and that was what I did and that lead to the birth of Yetunde: The Life And Times Of A Yoruba Girl In London (1). Doing so I think is the best decision I could have made. I hope to re-visit my original plan sometime in the future after I would have established my author platform.
What are you currently reading? OR What is currently on your to-be-read shelf?
  • Eden Enslaved by Alexa Lochlyn
Any project in the works?
  • I'm organising a book launch event for my paranormal erotic romance Abiku: A Battle Of Gods on the 9th of December 2016 to coincide with its release in paperback. It's to take place at the Park Plaza Hotel in London Victoria. You can find out more about it here http://www.segilolapublishing.com/product-category/events/
What inspired this book? 

  • Yetunde: An Ode To My Mother was inspired by my mom. If I had a minute more, what would I tell her? The book covered what I was feeling

No comments:

Post a Comment