Thursday, August 29, 2013

Old Bones (Haunted Series)


I bought this book because it had so many awesome reviews and I can see people are enjoying the characters like a beloved television show. It's an ensemble cast, with a crew of engaging and sometimes wacky characters. While they were cute, and a cross between CSI and Scooby Doo, they were quite unbelievable. Getting to know ALL the family background during the engagement party was tedious. The relationship between Mia and her parents was just a bit over the top. Without giving plot away, it wasn't the right fit. They are too damaged and as well as damaging. This is the first book in the series I have read and there was so much going on- so many characters. I wish she would have stuck to one story line- one ghost and saved the demi-god story for another book in the series. There was enough meat with the first story with all the interaction and growth between the characters that the secondary story could have been would have made another novel altogether. I loved the ghost aspect, as well as the powers Mia had- however, in the second half when she has her morphing abilities- the book degraded to almost a comic book. I really enjoyed the first half- the repartee, the growing relationships, as well as the ghosts. It bordered believable a la Ghost Story- and I loved that. When it changed- I felt I bought one type of book and ended with another. Aaron is inventive and I think will do very well with her growing fan base.

Happy Reading!
Carole P. Roman

No comments:

Post a Comment